Book Review - If He Had Been With Me

 


If He Had Been with Me by Laura Nowlin


Rating - 3.5 stars


WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD


This book was good, but I honestly think it was overhyped. I did enjoy it, but I definitely don't think it was as heartbreaking as people said. It was sad that Finny died at the end, but it felt predictable. With that being said, I do think this book had some good moments.

I really liked some of Autumn and Jamie's moments together. Jamie seemed so sweet at first, and he truly loved her. Some of things he did for her were so sweet. That is, until he decided to cheat on her. I knew it was coming because of how Jamie seemed interested in everything Sasha did and how he didn't want her to get back together with Alex. Sasha and Jamie spent so much alone time together that it seemed obvious that they would develop feelings for each other. 

I really loved Finn and Autum's relationship, although I felt like everything happened too slowly. Throughout the whole book, I feel like there was a lot of back and forth with them. Sometimes they were nice to each other and it felt like they would be friends again. But then they would immediately go back to not speaking. When they finally admitted their feelings for each other, it felt like one of those "Finally" moments. I liked it, but it just took too long to get to. I really did like how Finn treated her and the way they were when they got together, but I do wish we had gotten more time seeing them as a couple before Finn died. They deserved to have a little more time. I wish we could've at least gotten a glimpse of them in college or even after college, and them getting married and having kids. But I guess that is what makes the book so sad. We were anticipating Autumn and Finn getting together for the whole entire book, only for it to be ripped away from us as soon as it starts. 

I do think this book was very well written and I did enjoy it, I just feel like something is missing, I guess. I still recommend reading this, though, if anyone is interested in this book. I still think that it is worth the read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Twisted Lies

Book Review - Twisted Games

Book Review - Twisted Love